After growing up on a farm near Pincher Creek, Alberta, and graduating from high school in Pincher Creek, Doris graduated from the Canadian Mennonite University in Winnipeg, Manitoba, from Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota, and from the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. Although the majority of her university studies were in music and education, she was also able to take various courses in art. Doris taught music in elementary schools in Frazee, Minnesota, in Gibbons, Alberta, and in Spruce Grove, Alberta.
Doris, and her husband, Morley, lived in New Zealand for one year, teaching at a Maori Boys Boarding School near Auckland.
Doris has lived in Spruce Grove for more than 40 years, together with her husband, Morley, and sons, Colin and Keith. After Colin tragically died in a mountain climbing accident in 1999, Doris retired from her teaching career, and in October of 2001 Doris began to take lessons in watercolour painting and drawing.
The inspiration for Doris’ paintings comes from her love of the nature which surrounds her. Watercolour is Doris’ choice of medium used to express this appreciation. Her paintings are influenced by her background in music.
Doris has been a Member of the Allied Arts Council of Spruce Grove since March, 2004.
My need for self-expression, which is heightened by my appreciation of nature and influenced by my background in music, gives me the fuel to compose a painting.
My watercolour compositions come to life through the harmonic and balanced movement of colour, line and form, and are enhanced with the technique of “painting in the negative”.
Creating a painting has become a continuing source of solace for me. It is the “soul work” I need to express emotions ranging from those that are light and full of laughter, to those that are deep and intense. Being completely absorbed in the act of drawing and painting is a necessary part of my daily life.
- 2004 – ACACA Central Zone Juried Art Show –“Grappling Grasses” - Honourable Mention Award – Beginner Category
- 2005 – “Learn To Love, Love To Learn” - Commissioned painting for St. Joseph School 25th Anniversary
- 2007 – Allied Arts Council of Spruce Grove Feature Artist September 24 to October 13 – Exhibition entitled – “Medley of Memorable Moments”
- 2010 – Melcor Juried Active Members Show – “Daily Bread” - Honourable Mention Award
- 2012 –Novelty “It’s Winter” Show – “Winter Balm At Lake Beauvert” - People’s Choice Award
- 2012 – Open Art Competition – “Curtain Call On Hwy 56” - Second Place Award – Intermediate Category
- 2012 – Open Art Competition – “Mountain Candy” - Honourable Mention Award – Intermediate Category
- 2013 – City of Spruce Grove ‘Art In Transit’ Program – “Passages” featured on transit passes
- 2013 – Open Art Competition – “Starratt Wildlife Sanctuary” - Honourable Mention Award – Intermediate Category
- 2015 – “Standing Ovation” - Commissioned painting for the Spirit of the City Award presented to Boston Pizza at the Spruce Grove Chamber of Commerce Awards Gala
- 2016 – Juried Members Show – “Positive Ending” - Second Place Award
- 2016 – Open Art Competition – “Afternoon De-light” - Honourable Mention Award – Advanced Category
- 2017 – “Season Finale” - awarded at the Spruce Grove Chamber of Commerce Awards Gala. Presented to McLeod Home Hardware for the Community Spirit Award at the Spruce Grove Chamber of Commerce Awards Gala
- 2018 – Open Art Competition – “Pristine Pools” First Place Award – Advanced Category